Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Thursday, March 17, 2011

My Birthing Story

Wow! I had a baby! That fact alone is crazy, but now I must explain how I went from being miserable with a baby inside of me, to a baby out of me!
I had been having contraction all day at work, and when I returned home Robert and I went for a LONG walk around the neighborhood, timing my contractions as we went. They ranged from 5-8 minutes apart. When we returned home and they continued to get closer I took a bath, tried to sleep, and then at midnight we decided to go to the hospital. My contractions were then 2-3 minutes apart, and had been so for about 4 hours.
We called ahead to reserve the "Natural" birthing room which was complete with a tub, but unfortunately another girl had just vacated it, and they couldn't clean it for us, because housekeeping left at midnight.
When we arrived they checked my cervix, and informed me that I was at a 3, and couldn't be admitted until I was a 4. So Robert and I took a stroll around the floor, me in my hott hospital gown, and when we returned I was at a 4, and was admitted!
We were lucky to have been given a hypnobirthing Nurse, who left us alone, and kept the lights dimmed, and only checked on us occasionally. During this time I tried to get some sleep and breathe during my contractions. I had to have an IV to receive antibiotic for my group B strep, however, as soon as the antibiotic was finished I had them quickly unhook me so that I was free to wander as I please to help me deal with the contractions.
Robert was a saint and helped use counter-pressure during my contractions, and ran the room the way I wanted it to be ran. He even tried reading a hypnosis script, which worked great until I had a contraction and the illusion was broken. I'll have to work on that for the next time.
At 6am the nurses changed shifts, and I received a Lamaze nurse who was incredible! She stayed with me the rest of the time, and suggested I take a shower while I was transitioning at an 8, and the hot water helped distract me. Afterwards Dr. Drewes came in and broke my water, and 30 minutes later my body started spasm pushing. It's not like I "knew" I was suppose to push, my body just started doing it, and the nurse helped me breathe/groan the baby down, while Robert lent me his hand to hold and to crush. I kept my eyes shut during the entire thing, and thankfully they kept the lights dimmed, and my legs out of stirrups. Everyone was amazing, and adhered to my requests (which Robert gave, since I couldn't talk very well while concentrating) with flying colors!
I tore just a little because the doctor was getting ready to give me an episiotomy when Robert informed him very sternly that I didn't want one. When I heard that I needed one because my baby's stats were dropping, I quickly pushed her out.
The next moments were incredible, they threw screaming Avery up on my chest while Robert cut the umbilical cord. I held her and started to sing, as soon as she heard my voice she immediately stopped crying, and lifted her head to stare at me!
Most incredible and primitive experience of my life, and worth every second of nausea, uncomfortableness, kicks in the ribs, and contractions!
Afterwards the family got to come in and enjoy our new bundle of joy as well! Here is Aunt Kathy and Cousin Brooklyn.
Mason and Braden also wanted a turn to hold Avery.
Baby with Grandma
So tiny!
Proud Daddy!
Daddy getting the car seat ready to go home. We put the settings on the smallest and she barely fit.
First family photo
So good to be home!


2 comments:

The Wies Family said...

Yay! I'm so glad that you finally posted Avery's birth story! It's a time in your life you will never forget! Avery is beautiful and has amazing parents! Love you guys!

Mom Keele said...

I was blessed to be in attandance for Avery's entrance into the world. I have assisted and been present at over a 100 births and Kristal's birth was amazing in that she practically had a Home Birth in the hospital...thanks to her own preparedness, her husband's unfailing support, the nurses on staff, and the doctor who knew Kristal. All in all, she did great and Avery is one lucky girl to not have all those wretched drugs inside her and her mommy.